written by camila
Published on Jul 10th 2018
Let’s face it, for whatever reason, making a salad seems like a very time-consuming task especially if you are short on time, energy but you are craving something delicious to eat. But eating raw is so important to get the most nutrients out of your food...so how do we accomplish all of these desires?...
The optimum goal is to make something healthy, quick, and delicious so you will look forward to eating it often, effortlessly, and most enjoying the journey along the way. So here are my tips for making your salad your wingmen or woman for your daily intake:
1) GREEN ME UP: Buy your greens already cut and clean…this will make it super easy for you to prep. You can choose from Mixed Greens, Arugula, Kale, Spinach...pick your fav. This is an important choice for not all greens taste the same and this is the Hero of your salad, you will want to bulk up on this for your nutrients in terms of ratio to other ingredients. So choose it well.
2) DRESS IT UP: Buy or make a salad dressing that you love AND that are healthy! Don't rely on the plain old olive oil and vinegar route (not that there is anything wrong with that, but remember, you want to look forward this salad, on a regular basis, so it has to have a hook). Here are some of my fav go-to salad dressings:
Curry Balsamic (see recipe)
Lemon Garlic (see recipe)
Sesame Ginger by blah
Caesar Dressing by Hampton Creek
Ranch Dressing by Hampton Creek
Miso - Ginger
3) KEEP INGREDIENTS TO A MINIMUM: Keep your cut and chop ingredients down to a minimum (1-3 max)...this is the step where it might defeat you because the time that you might think it will take clean and cut might make you unmotivated so choose wisely from...onions, tomatoes, cucumbers…choose whichever you like to embellish with but less is more. One thing to keep in mind is grape tomatoes are good because they already bite sizes so less to chop!
4) GET FRUITY OR GO NUTS: Nuts or dried fruits are a completely effortless step, just open the container and top it with it. This will add more good fats, nutrients, taste, and overall wellth to your salad. But it is totally up to you!
5) BUT I WANT MEAT! Sometimes having a little bit more texture is more appealing. Choose Vegan Proteins such as Seitan, Bacon, etc...and have them cooked ahead of time and just waiting in the fridge for you ;-) This is also true for Vegan Cheese, just buy some good ones off the shelf so it's easy peasy.
6) LET'S WRAP IT UP: If you don't feel like a salad is enough..even if this is just a mental game, put your salad in a wrap and add more dressing. Make it nice and gooey so you feel satisfied. I LOVE salad wraps!
Of course, if you have more time on your hands and you can get fancy with your salad creations, go for it! Creative salads are always fun and delicious...but it is better to have your fav, on-the-go, down to 5 min or less in hand to up your raw, regular nutrients intake than nothing.
I hope these tips help you up your green game!